|Location||777 Bay Street,, Toronto, Canada|
|Date Posted||June 18, 2021|
Lawyers (In-House Counsel)
Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national industry association for the private property and casualty insurance in Canada. IBC has regional offices in Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver, with its head office located in Toronto.
Lead by Vice-President & General Counsel, IBC’s legal team is responsible for providing legal advice and supporting a diverse group of internal clients, regional offices and to its members.
The Director, Legal will have responsibility on a broad range of issues relating to IBC and to its members, including working with members on regulatory, market conduct compliance and privacy issues, and providing legal and business advice on IBC’s corporate compliance obligations.
- Provide sound, timely legal advice and support to senior management and internal client groups across the organization
- Coordinate activities of IBC’s Regulation Standing Committee on national regulatory matters
- Actively participate in the Privacy Working Group on national privacy issues and consultations
- Actively participate in the Market Conduct Working Group on provincial market conduct matters and consultations
- Organize the annual Regulatory Affairs Symposium
- Ambassador for IBC’s vision, mandate and objectives and uses that understanding to advance business and operational objectives and to carry out effective member and stakeholder relations strategies
- Provides legal advice to members on regulatory, compliance and privacy issues and their potential impact on IBC members
- Respond to governments and external stakeholders respecting IBC’s position on issues
Experience and Qualifications
- Member of the Bar of a Canadian province or territory.
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years of progressive experience in a legal or corporate environment.
- Ability to work independently or in team environment.
- Adapts quickly to the complexities of a member-based organization with multiple accountabilities.
- Detailed knowledge of property and casualty insurance.
- Significant experience in insurance company regulatory and market conduct law.
- Significant experience with privacy and corporate commercial laws across Canada.
- Exceptional writing skills and demonstrated ability to produce a wide variety of communications material.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills at management level.
- Strong strategic thinking and presentation skills.
- Understanding of trade associations and their relationship to government and other stakeholders.
- Bilingualism (French & English) an asset.
Please send résumé to:
Human Resources Department
Contact: Azan Khan
IBC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
This position qualifies under the Employee Referral Program. IBC is an equal opportunity employer.