|Date Posted||November 13, 2020|
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario/Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario) is seeking a Legal Content Developer with legal practice experience, strong skills in clear writing, and experience working with communities that are socially disadvantaged. This is a full-time position.
The Legal Content Developer develops and coordinates legal information content for CLEO’s Steps to Justice website and other CLEO materials. Steps to Justice (www.stepstojustice.ca) is CLEO’s premier website providing legal information to people in Ontario.
Job responsibilities include:
- Developing a range of legal content intended for use by people with low incomes and other social disadvantages, applying legal knowledge and expertise
- Writing, editing, and updating legal information in a variety of formats (primarily online, but also print, audio, video, and social media) on a range of legal topics
- Identifying, developing, and integrating interactive tools for use in the legal content
- Coordinating external legal review and clear language editing of legal information content, ensuring legal accuracy
- Identifying and coordinating external content development partners
- Coordinating freelance service providers as required, including writers, translators, editors, proofreaders, and designers
- Undertaking background research to monitor communities’ changing legal information needs and strategies for meeting those needs
- Networking with community legal clinics, community organizations, and other on-the-ground service providers to identify legal information needs
- Working collaboratively with CLEO staff on legal information projects
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor of Laws / Juris Doctor from a Canadian province
- Three to five years’ experience practising law in Ontario in housing law and one other area of law affecting low income communities
- Experience working in a community-based setting with people who experience social disadvantage
- Experience in written communications, such as publishing or journalism
- Project management skills and experience, including skills in managing multiple projects and coordinating external service providers
- Proven record of producing creative and innovative ideas, projects, and solutions
- Digital literacy skills, including an awareness of U/I U/X, legal information technology, and content management systems an asset
- Fluency in French an asset
CLEO is a non-profit organization and specialty legal clinic that provides information and resources for a variety of audiences who face barriers to participating in the justice system (including low income, literacy, language, culture, disability, and accessibility). For 45 years, CLEO has built a strong reputation for producing and delivering high quality, effective public legal education materials in print, online, and other formats.
Please forward in PDF format the following documents to apply:
- your resume
- a cover letter
- a brief writing sample (no longer than 10 pages, an excerpt from a longer piece is acceptable) that demonstrates your capacity to write legal information for the public
Please include the above documents in an email with “Legal Content Developer” in the subject line by November 20, 2020 to: email@example.com. This contract is to March 31, 2022 with possibility of renewal.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in the position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.