|Date Posted||February 9, 2019|
Paralegal – Vancouver Office
Position Type: Permanent
Date Posted: February 6th, 2019
Closing Date: February 25th, 2019
Ecojustice is Canada’s largest environmental law charity. Our mission is to use the law to defend nature, combat climate change and fight for a healthy environment for all. Our strategic, innovative public interest lawsuits lead to nation-wide precedents and deliver concrete solutions to our most urgent environmental problems.
Working with Ecojustice means joining a team of passionate, hard-working professionals. We strive to build an inclusive and respectful working environment, where all employees are valued for their contributions to our mission.
Ecojustice offers a comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Family friendly workplace policies, including a generous annual vacation allowance (starting at 3 weeks and increasing to 6 weeks), Winter office closure (between Christmas and New Year), Birthday day off, maternity and parental leave top-ups, and a workplace culture with an overarching emphasis on work life balance;
- Extended health and dental coverage for employees and their families;
- RSP matching after 1 year of employment;
- Transportation incentives to encourage an environmentally friendly commute to work; and
- Volunteering incentives, to enable all employees to give back to the communities and causes that they are passionate about.
We also support ongoing employee development through our People Potential Program, which aims to give all employees a tailored plan in order to access professional development and training opportunities relevant to their own career development.
Ecojustice is 100 per cent funded by individuals and organizations who share our values. To learn more about how we are building the case for a better earth, please visit: www.ecojustice.ca.
About the Role:
The Paralegal supports and enhances the work of the Program team by performing substantive and procedural legal work as authorized by the law. This includes providing high level litigation support to lawyers and program staff and acting as a back-up for the day-to-day operations of the Vancouver office.
As a member of the Ecojustice Operations team, the Paralegal plays a key role in:
Provide Litigation Support
- Assemble/photocopy/bind/cerlox Pleadings, Court, or Tribunal documents
- Draft letters to clients, counsel, experts and witnesses for the file
- Prepare paper and electronic documents for court or tribunal, ensuring that all document formatting complies with the rules of the court or tribunal
- Arrange for external services as required for printing, court reporting, transcripts, etc.
- Draft indexes/tables of contents
- Draft and format other documents such as Affidavits, FOI/ATIP Requests, Notice of Appearance, Affidavit of Service, etc.
- May occasionally serve documents to opposing counsel or parties where necessary
- Electronically file documents or attend various court and tribunal offices if needed to file documents
- Conduct legal research and write legal memos with lawyer supervision
- Creating file BFs and monitoring BFs to ensure the file is managed appropriately and timely as expected by the client. This includes ensuring appropriate follow up on documents, experts and other requirements to prepare the file for settlement and/or trial/hearing.
- Creating chronologies and statements of assumed facts
- Interview clients and draft affidavits in support of standing with lawyer supervision
- Researching and obtaining relevant literature.
- Reviewing documents and creating document briefs for trial
- Scheduling witnesses for trial
Maintain Records and Filing Systems:
- Open, maintain, close and archive litigation/case files
- Organize cases, and maintain paper and electronic files and reports
- Assist with New Case Inquiry records and procedure
Assist Program and Administrative Staff:
- Draft correspondence
- Arrange meetings, including teleconferences, and attend meetings as required to take notes to follow up on action items
- Maintain Client and Conflict List
- Assist the Office Manager with various tasks as requested, such as preparing expense reports and coordinating travel arrangements when the office manager is unavailable.
- Troubleshoot issues with office equipment and systems in Office Manager’s absence
- Assist Office Manager with general reception duties such as receiving and relaying incoming phone calls and correspondence, and preparing outgoing correspondence and courier packages and accepting delivered packages.
Note: This job may require additional responsibilities and duties as assigned by Ecojustice
Education & experience requirements
- Paralegal diploma preferred, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience
- Experience with computer applications, court & civil rules and procedures, law office procedures, litigation procedures, MS Office programs, general office administration experience, relevant not-for-profit or volunteer experience an asset
Knowledge required to perform duties:
- Knowledge of legal and litigation procedures
- Familiarity with electronic filing systems used by different courts
- An understanding of legal citation rules would be considered an asset
- Microsoft Office Suite, including proficiency in using Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- General computer and Internet knowledge and ability to understand and work with computer software and/or programs, as well as troubleshooting
- Understanding of QuickLaw and Adobe Acrobat Pro required
- Familiarity with the use of general office equipment
- Numeracy skills, with basic accounting knowledge an asset
- Keeps abreast of court and (where appropriate) tribunal procedures and has current knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures in the area of litigation
Skills and abilities required to perform duties:
- Communication skills – the ability to clearly articulate messages both through verbal and written communication at all levels in the organization; strong ability to demonstrate active listening skills
- Interpersonal skills – has empathy, sensitivity and friendship skills when working with others
- Computer skills – Word processing, fast and accurate keyboarding, machine dictation; formatting professional looking documents in Word or Adobe Acrobat Pro, creating and maintaining Excel spreadsheets, and managing Outlook email and calendars
- Internet research skills, and an aptitude for learning new software programs and web-based technologies
- Work under time pressures while maintaining high standards and attention to detail – ability to complete binding process to serve and file documents to meet filing deadlines and court/tribunal office closure
- Multi-tasking skills – the ability to juggle more than one project at a time
- Prioritization/Time Management skills – the ability to make good use of time and resources
- Planning skills, integrity, assertiveness, honesty, and conflict management
- Flexibility – flexible team player able to occasionally work additional hours when necessary
Ecojustice is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment. We welcome and value the contributions of individuals who identify as members of a minority or marginalized community, and encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, women, people of colour, and people with a disability.
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume online at: www.ecojustice.ca/careers no later than the Monday, February 25th 2019 closing date.
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Cheryll Januszewski, HR Manager, by email at email@example.com or by calling 604-685-5618