|Date Posted||October 1, 2023|
No, we're not recruiting for Stem Legal; and we're only lightly recruiting for additions to our team of writers at Slaw.ca. But the truth is, we would like to have an influx of a few new people with new ideas in 2024.
If you haven't already, you can read about the genesis of Slaw.ca on our About page. For nearly twenty years, we have relied on our legal community of lawyers, librarians, technologists, marketers, students, and educators. Our writing group is varied, but have one common feature -- expertise in something legal.
Normally, we find the writers. Most of our current experts were actively recruited or recommended. We have entertained a few applications, but the ones that were successful were incredibly well presented.
If you actively read Slaw.ca, you probably already understand. We're looking for original ideas and creators who provoke smart conversations. Having a genuine voice and unique perspective is absolutely key.
So who do we want?
- Individuals (or organizations) whose working life or research interest is exclusively dedicated to the provision of legal services or legal education;
- Individuals (or organizations) who can commit to six submissions (bimonthly) per year;
- Expertise or experience in something uniquely valuable to the provision of legal services or legal education;
- We want writers who know to avoid 'selling from the podium'. Be willing to write about industry trends and events without injecting mentions or linking to personal business interests.
Our contributors slot into one of ten topic groups which closest align to their writing. Is dabbling in other areas allowed? Absolutely. But fitting into one of the above linked groups is an element of how Slaw works. Keeping 'the mix' varied, so to speak.
How and when to reach out?
We suggest starting this process by thinking it through. Six annual submissions sounds reasonable (and it is!) but many professionals have busy periods they must plan around. So be sure to apply with "having a plan" in mind.
The application process is easy. Send an email to Steve Matthews at email@example.com. Include these three things:
- A summary of your interests and the area you want to write around. Include a small bullet list of current topics, or describe your area of interest in a detailed paragraph.
- A profile URL or LinkedIn profile that details your professional experience. Anything that you feel helps describe your industry knowledge or define your expertise.
- Finally, tell us about your writing. Are you writing regularly elsewhere? Do you have a few examples online that you can direct us to? Send us some digital proof so we can see who you are.
Slaw.ca does intakes of new writers at several points throughout the year. So we will hold onto your information, and we will confirm receipt of all viable applications.